Monday 29 November 2010

Creativity

Looking at album artwork from bands within the indie genre, as well as Two Door Cinema Club's
own releases, I have taken an interest in the use of real life photography, as opposed to photoshop artwork.

Two Door Cinema Club- Tourist History


This album features a photograph of a cat that has been edited using photoshop purely to draw lines from the eyes of the animal, and overlay the bands logo and album title. Little else has been done to the image, as you can see when taking away the font, the image itself doesn't look altered apart from the eye area and possibly a shift in contrast to create a darker lighting:


If you compare this simplistic home made approach to the works of artists like:

Empire of the Sun: Walking on a Dream


The Dutch Uncles- Dutch Uncles


Basement Jaxx: The Return of Basement Jaxx


It becomes clear that Two Door Cinema have utilised the do it yourself approach, and have created a hand made feel to their album that is reflected in the sound of their music. Much like the respective bands above and their highly edited and produced artwork, that is reflected in their own music. When the two differing styles are contrasted against each other I personally prefer the effect of using a photo. I plan to experiment with photographs either importing them into photo shop and playing with lighting and certain effects or actually working straight onto the image, taking aspects of inspiration from some of the art work researched in my following post.


In this video Sir Ken Robinson discusses the value of making mistakes and how these errors are the key to independent learning. Creativity is at the heart of the media industry and I found Robinson's views insightful on this topic. His views on the way schools can enhance or suffocate pupils creativity made me assess how much I rely on my own teachers and pushed me to become more independent and experiment more, learning from my own mistakes. From the topics discussed in the above video I am hoping to take these sentiments into my own work, and learn to embrace my mistakes whilst working with my photographed images and the edits I will make to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment