Tuesday 4 January 2011

Shot Inspiration

Today I have been looking at other Music Video's and clips to try and find and illustrate ideas for our own video. I downloaded some free software, a program that allows you to download Youtube videos, and another that allows you to edit them. These have helped me single out some shots that I have found specifically interesting and taken some creative ideas from.

Stop Motion:

The Kate Nash video for her song 'Foundations' is a good example of the stop motion techniques me and Emma hope to utilise in our own video, using house hold objects that are gradually altered in position and photographed each time and then edited together to create the effect of motion. I have also picked an extract that uses lighting in an interesting way, as illustrated with the shot of the two holding hands with an over exposed background. I think the lighting creates a nice effect. I also liked the shot of the feet, as the movements weren't fluid it created a disjointed style, similar to that of the Stop Motion and created a smooth feel running throughout the cuts.

The video alongside is by a band called the Maccabees entitled 'Latchmere' they have used stop motion to not only create a moving background but also incorporate the band within the routine. I especially like the shots of the band members in mid jump, that have been captured and edited together on beat to the music.



Effects:

This clip is taken from the film 'Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulin'. The use of the shaky handheld camera gives it a home made, unpolished effect. There are occasional flashes of light which give a sense of an old vintage 8 bit camera and the effect of an old projector. I like the use of the bike and camera travelling with it, it gives the sequence more depth, and we are going to experiment with attatching a camera to a bike basket and create a similar style of dynamic shot. I like the filter used for this scene, their is a slight sepia vignette on the lens, and we aim to add a similar effect to our video in the post production edit. Also, the general mise en scene of French life is prominent, and although we are filming in british streets we aim to create a similar style through our props, costumes and locations.

'Music When The Lights Go Out' by the Libertines is mostly filmed with the speed reduced, or very minor slow motion. I love the effect it creates, when the action isn't at full speed it turns each movement into a more fluid motion. I hope to re create this within our music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment